Sunday, April 18, 2010

Sensory diets not breaks

Something I have struggled with this year is implementing sensory breaks.  When I am not having success with these breaks in the classroom I begin to wonder....is it me? Is it my fault that these sensory breaks are not helping? Or, is it stuff going on at home? Maybe it's behavioral? hmmmm.

So...what to do?

Well as per usual, I lean on the internet. I can't help it, it is so easy and quick. And, I found a resource that got the gears in my head turning. Sensorysmarts.com has a ton helpful information including this page, which did shine a little light on my struggle.

I am thinking that if I am going to work on sensory breaks in the school then I am going to be sure to explain to the guardians that sensory breaks do not start and end in the classroom.  In order for sensory breaks to be effective in the school then the breaks must be part of an overall sensory diet, which includes the home.

You may be thinking, "Of course you would do that!" And, I think, "Of course I should be doing that." I guess I have just become comfortable enough with all of the other duties of my job, that now I am looking at how I can be better. Although I have always known I need parent's cooperation it seems early on all I could manage was the absolute necessities of each day.  If a student doesn't come to school "sensorially" ready, then they are not coming with all the tools they need to be successful.

It is part of my job to explain the importance of the carry-over. I am sure it can be difficult to fully gain the guardian's commitment to and cooperation with the home carry-over, but it can't hurt to try.

Sensorysmarts is a great free resource that has a checklist to help determine the child's specific sensory needs. Then, towards the bottom of the page, it describes a Sample Sensory Diet which helps me figure out how I might explain how the sensory diet can be carried over at home. Definitely good food for thought.

Check out the other helpful pages on this website. Let me know if you have any other helpful tips on how to be successful with sensory diets.

No comments:

Post a Comment